19 May 2009

It Got 6" Longer, In ONE DAY!!!


REALLY!!! (I Measured...)

Sweat pours down my body from the heat and exertion; a drop leaves my chin and lands in the bed below as I lean down and in...
I see an area missed before, somehow neglected. (Can't have that...)
I reach down with two fingers, taking it gently yet firmly between... wiggle it some to worry it loose a bit first. I pinch it then---

And pull the pesky little weed trying to take root in my garden. And that, right where the heirloom watermelon resides! That watermelon vine, I promise, has grown half a foot in the time between yesterday's glance and today's labor of weeding I've let get near out of hand.
Well, more the creeping-in of bermuda, in an area of the bed I added this year-- where grass previously lay.

Here's an overview of the expansion bed. The afore-mentioned watermelon is in the foreground...
Behind that is the out-of-control melons... Store-bought cantaloupe, consumed and the rind and seed thrown out to compost (the original intent of the vine-covered area), the seeds decided to do what seeds, given sun [heat/light] and water [liquid] and dirt [fertile ground!], are wont to do-- PRODUCE... or, um fruit... you know; guess orientation comes into play...
Don't know what the canta-critters will look, taste, or be like (like melons, I'm a-hopein'), but if naught else, we got some pretty groundcover. Oh-- hard to see from the above vantage-- wanna get closer?!?-- but the blooms are PROLIFIC, and many have this:
behind them-- little two-pea sized bloomin' melons! HAR!

Gimme two weeks, and I'll run a taste test. If'n y'don't hear back from me after that-- this being some second-generation hybrid mutie, well... I say then don't try this at home, kiddies!

Gots plenty more pics, both the weekend and today-- but whah! I might needs them to tease you notrherners more of a future date!!!


Well, Folks, before the customary close, I wanna add two more things.

First, CYGNUS IS BAA-AACK !!!

I'll be around if not c'est soir (got loads of housecleaning to do before grandma returns from a week-long foray to me mum's and sister's neck o' the woods to visit and terroriz-- um, i mean, really I did-- TICKLE her great-grandbabies...), then on the morrow latest, with my usual snide, snippy, or otherwise off-the-wall commentary on yall's sites.
Thanks, all, for allotting me hiatus.
Which leads me to my ...

SECONDLY-- a very deep, heartfelt bow and TREMENDOUS THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! to one very good friend who kept my spirits up with near-constant emails this past week or so. YOU know who you are. If we weren't being watched, i'd KISS you here (or there! lol!) and now... Ahh, what the hell... hide yer eyes if'n you don't wanna watch--
***MMUUU--WAAHHH!!!!!***
[um.. you did get the tongue, d'in ya?!?]

Slainte, Folks!

See ya on the morrow!!!

Cygnus

18 comments:

Kyddryn said...

Pea sized melons? No need to get personal, sir!

You make weeding sound positively gorgeous, sir...which is odd, because I've gardened afore, and fun, weeding was not!

Shade and Sweetwater,
K (who groks)

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

oh but the garden She IS so personal!

And, that was "two-pea" sized...

SEE??!

An, but come to my eden, pretty Flower, and I shall prove weeding EVERY BIT as fun as I try to make it be.. er, sound, i mean...

Thanks, Lady k, for the GROK...

Kyddryn said...

Also...are you braggin' or complainin'??

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Um... mayhap "requesting"???
...

Rod said...

Just thought you might like to know. We planted most of our garden finally this weekend. So you are not the only one having all the fun now.

Rod

Unknown said...

Good Melons to you, sir...

The garden variety that is...

Inspire me to weed, will ya? Cos I'm not feeling it..

Peace - Rene

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

ROD!! HAR!!! Excellent to hear, my man!!!
I deem yours will bear likely even more prolifically than my little patch hath...

Good to see you visit, Friend...
Good to be in such wonderful company...

Thanks, Rod!

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Well, y'see, Ms. Not The Rock...

It's all in those two fingers...

And the sun...

and the dirt..

And... and mayhap that little wiggle and pinch...

Hope I've helped with a little feelin'....

Peace, Lady Cutest-in-the-world...

C.

Felinae said...

I echo what Kyddryn said
"Also...are you braggin' or complainin'??"

Pray tell kind sir which is it? inquiring minds want to know?

Smiles~Felinae~
(You are so silly)

Unknown said...

Sweet

Thanks for the advice

It's the getting started that is the hardest part.

Guess I just gotta get in the zone
and stay on task...

Sometimes I am way too ADD for gardening.

Peace - Rene

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Lady Rock-- You need help? Getting, uh, 'Started'???

Ah, I can see, NO.
;D

But.. The offer forever stands...

i'm thinking we could redefine "the Zone"...

But, then, I tend to think too much...:D

G'nite, Lady...

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Lady Felinae...

Again, i say,

Ahh.. what was it I said?
AH! yes!!...

I think the "or" is the correct reverb...

Ellen said...

No fair, Cygnus! We had frost last night. No gardening yet for this northerner.

Anonymous said...

LOL, good to see you back you ol reprobate :P

Lydia said...

We had frost also and even have the fireplace going now because its so dang cold, and you're talking about melons in your garden. More importantly, your title of 6" longer is a tease! Welcome back and glad you're better!
:)
Lydia

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Overworked Mom-- we got some of that lovely cool down here, too-- down to 50 one night and only up to 70 the next day lol!

Ok, I'll quit rubbing it in.

The weather, that is...

Molly, Thank you my down-under friend!

And, um, WHO? ME?!? LOL!

Lydia! Wow... a nice fire, Melons, six more...

well, ah, 'tease' i hope it is. i mean, I didn't wanna change anything, really... just not feel the writing forced...

Thank you all for visiting, and for the welcome back.. i'm glad it was a short hiatus.

OH-- and Lady Not The Rockefellers... I must still be lacking a wee bit-- I so missed the "not feeling it" opportunity...
**sighs** ah well, I'll be more heads-up in the future, starting... NOW! :D

Bullseye said...

Welcome back brother. Melons look great. Oh yea, glad to hear you grew 6 inches in one day, was it the meds ya think....LMAO !! Things are looking great down there man, keep up the good work my brother.

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Bullseye-- Thanks BrotherMan...good to be back-- boy, could I use the respite!lol I mean, you knowing my ulter computer-time passion... hehe!
Been hectic there... but, a friend on the road for the night... so...