02 January 2009

On Resolutions, Declarations, and simply Moving On

I've been making a lot of changes in my life of late. That these happen to coincide with the changing of another digit on the calenderical tracking device is mere coincidence.

Hmm... coincidence. 'Coincide'.

YEP.

Cool for me, too, is that much of the change has taken place on or into the New Moon/First Crescent Moon. A time for everything, it is said. Farmer's Almanac, and those old school who plowed the field, may not have seen it as Spiritually significant as I do, but would see it as significant none the less.

New year. New Moon. New starts.

I've never done "resolutions"-- not as they are termed as such reliant on a set calendar date. I HAVE and continue to make change when and where life deemed them important, or needed. And I like the term "declarations", in lieu of "resolutions", that many seem to be substituting this seasonal cycle; calls to mind the ideals this Republic was founded on-- ideals that said Republic's founders would be turning over in their graves to see decimated post- 9/11 and the (so-called) Patriot Act.

But new year/Moon/era or not, changes they are a-comin' , my friends. For all of us.

I've redoubled my efforts towards getting to that 'Homestead'. Fits too much with not only my personal/spiritual bent, but towards preparation for the storm I, and many other minds, see looming on the horizon. To that end, I have instituted the following "resolutions";

1) Minimally, 10% of ANY incoming fundage goes to savings. By savings I pretty much mean coinage-- 'money for a rainy day' as the old proverb goes. and I say minimally because

2) There are lots of ways to 'save'. The 10 % is a cash minimum. Tonight I put another two pounds of beans (literally), above and beyond the 'cash', in the food storage (for future) pantry.
Two paltry dollars.
Each day.
Less than $15 a week.
Tonight's $2 represents better than 4 meals. AND counts as some seed saving, because EACH BEAN, or pea, or what have you, is as an acorn-- it contains all the potential for an entire new tree... While I possess the green paper, and others are still taking it as "legal tender for all...", I think tendering it for better than four day's' food is a good bargain.

And the kicker is, it wouldn't mater that I see all this as necessary to my future survival; I'd otherwise be doing it simply towards my future welfare.

I have a dream. I dream of living away from the masses, on a beautiful piece of land tended by my own hands towards, if no other end, allowing me to live as self-sufficient as possible; to provide for myself (and any Yew Berry or wee ones what might come along) by those actions. And to do so in a minimally disruptive way to Gaea, my Earth Mother.

It is, quite simply (and exclusive of any "green" ulter-motive"), the life I desire.

Why should I not, regardless of some 'date' on a calendar, be working on synergistic melding of my spiritual and practical life/lives?

No reason fathomable.

Thanks for stopping by, my friends.

Stay (at)tuned...

Cygnus

13 comments:

HermitJim said...

Good plan, good post...may good luck be our constant companion this year!

Ken said...

...i like it,good post...i'm there too,even though the family may get sick of it,beans,rice,pasta and canned goods,are gonna have to do until we get the garden up-n-runnin'...last couple shoppin' trips have found lots of beans going to the pantry(admittingly,not many canned good tho,beans and bullets...lol)...trying to get 'most bang for the buck'...

DarklyFey said...

I like your thoughts on 'savings', and the reminder that each bean is a plant!

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Thanks, Hermit! Man, I could sure use some of the 'good' variety; had enough bad...

Hey Ken! thanks for visiting this morn. Cans or bags, food is food. And bullets can produce food in their own right!

Hi DarklyFey! with all the reading you do, I sure appreciate getting some of your time. Yeah, too bad I can't plant a can of salmon and have it produce multi... :D

Thanks for stopping by, folks.

Cygnus

Bullseye said...

Great post, I love the idea of prepping for 2 bucks a day. It really is that easy and cheap to prepare for hard times. The longer they hold off the more preps you have. I save all of our change and I bust a dollar for everything. I never spend any of my change. At the end of the month I usually have $25-$30 bucks for preps. I think you are one of the few out there that have your head on right. Good job.

Bullseye

Bullseye said...

Oh yea, I added you to my blog list. Want to keep up with what's up over there.

Bullseye

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Bullseye,

Thanks man! always great to have a fellow traveler stop by.

AS much as i loath institutional banks, i use one. not only do i follow you on never spending my coinage (gonna be worth more than that green paper, i reckon), but when i use my debit card, the bank xfers the "change" (to the nearest $) to my savings acct.

Glad you visited, and thanks for the feedback...

C.

Mayberry said...

Excellent post Cygnus. And a damn fine example for all of us!

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Mayberry,
now i know i exist...

Thanks for stopping by, and for the kind words.

Thanks, Bullseye!

Naught to do but to do it, folks...

C.

Mayberry said...

Jeez... I ain't nobody. Just a loudmouth in cyberspace! Yer makin' me blush.....

Stephanie in AR said...

Like the saying goes the journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step (or something), sounds like you've got a good start.

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Loudmouth, would that more big Ears were attuned...
Love your post (i've link-tagged it in my menana's post, not minutes ago.

Guess only so many sheeple gonna even look up to see the wolf comin' eh? (BTW, you are one of the first besides my 'institutionalized' friend i've ever seen use the term Sheeple.)

Speaks volumes...

Your faithful sycophant,

C.

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Stephanie in Ar...
Thanks for visiting again.

Yes Ma'am, we all got to start somewhere. But we've got to know where we're goin', too...

Have a great Ozarks weekend!
[ i will not be envious.. i will not be ....] ;P

C.