22 August 2009

I'll try [almost] anything once...

Especially when passed on from a cute friend! har!

"A friend passed this on to me. Thot you mite be able to use it.
V.J.T."


Flies Won’t Bug You Anymore

We went with some out of town friends to Sweety Pies on Sunday for breakfast, and we sat in the enclosed patio section beside the house. We happened to notice a couple of zip lock baggies pinned to a post and a wall. The bags were half filled with water, each contained 4 pennies, and they were zipped shut. Naturally we were curious! Ms Sweety told us that these baggies kept the flies away! So naturally we were even more curious! We actually watched some flies come in the open window, stand around on the window sill, and then fly out again. And there were no flies in the eating area! This morning I checked this out on Goggle. Below are comments on this fly control idea. I'm now a believer! More comments not included here were about pet dog s and fly problems.

Zip-lock water bags
Sue says:

Many people swear that a zip-lock bag filled half-way with water and attached over entry-ways will repel flies. No one yet knows how or why it works, but there is speculation that it has something to do with the way the moving water refr acts light. If you have tried this please use the comments form at the bottom of the page to share your results with the rest of us.

Ann Says:

October 5th, 2008 at 5:51 pm

I did tried the zip-lock bag and pennies this weekend. I have a horse trailer with full LQ. The flies were very bad this weekend while I was camping. I put the baggie with pennies above the door of the LQ. NOT ONE FLY came in the trailer. The horse trailer part had many. Not sure why it works but it does!!!!!!!



Danielle Martin Says:

September 20th, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Fill a zip-lock bag with water and 5 or 6 pennies and hang it in the problem area. In my case it was a particular window in my home. It had a slight but significant passage way for insects. Every since I have done that, it has kept flies and wasps away. Some say, that wasps and flies mistake the bag for some sort of other insect nest and are threatened by this.

Maggie Says:

June 7th, 2009 at 11:40 am

I swear by the plastic bag of water trick I have them on side porch (our house entry) and all around the basement door. We saw these in Northeast Mo at an Amish grocery store & have used them since. They say it works because a fly sees a reflection & won't come around.

Just DJ Says:

May 16th, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Regarding the science behind zip log bags of water? My research found that each of the millions of mo lecules of water presents its own prism effect and given that flies have a lot of eyes, to them it's like a zillion disco balls reflecting light, colors and movement in a dizzying manner. When you figure that flies are basically prey for many other bugs, animals, birds, etc., they simply won't take the risk of being around that much perceived action. I moved to a rural area ant thought these "hillbillies" were just yanking my city boy chain but I tried it, worked immediately! We went from hundreds of flies to seeing the occasional one, but he doesn’t hang around long.

Reg said:
I tested this yesterday at our cabin outdoors. I was in the hammock with my wife. Flies were llanding on us in droves. I got up, filled a sandwich bag half full with water and put 6 pennies in it spread across on the bottom. I hung it on her side of the hammock about 2 feet above her side and one foot out. No flies landed on her or me except for the very tip of my outside elbow. Next time I will use two bags on both sides of us.


If anybody knows cares to experiment whether this works, feed us back!

Slainte, Folks!

Cygnus

6 comments:

Kyddryn said...

I have a friend who uses this method when she's camping. She also sprinkles cinnamon on the ground to repel ants. She swears by it.

I've also seen CDs hanging in windows and on canopies for much the same reason.

I guess I'll have to give it a try.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Can't cost bot four cents and a baggie of water, eh?

I do wonder if the pennies are for some copper-scented water trick...[just firing neurons off... don't 'mind' me! HAR!]

C.

Felinae said...

Thanks Cygnus,

My parent's old neighbor used to set out 1 gal jugs filled with water around the perimeter of their yard to repel flies.

Hugs~n~Love
~Felinae~

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It sounds too good and too easy to be true! But when the bugs are bad, we'll try anything! Thanks for the tip.

Stephanie in AR said...

The old timers in the rice fields hang baggies of water by the doors to keep away the mosquitoes. Maybe it is the way water reflects light? They say it works - we found that moving an hour away keeps those mosquitoes away very nicely.

The Ebon Swan said...

Ok, now I'm curious. Our house gets flies BADLY over the summer months and I get to my wits' end in short order.

I've gotta try this.